“Not only has it given her more confidence but it’s teaching her already that if she wants to succeed at something she has to put in the time and effort. She just loves GymKix!”
– Mrs. Gillespie
Students that are brand new to dance will feel right at home and experienced students will have opportunities to challenge themselves.
In addition to the multitude of physical, mental and emotional benefits our sports provide, GymKix is proud to offer the highest quality instruction with educated, professional staff. Additionally, all of our dance classes use age appropriate choreography, music, and costuming.
The confidence boost that a child experiences from participating in an on-stage performance is unparalleled. It is our greatest joy to see their eyes light up and beg to “do it again”.
ENROLLMENT & CLASS INFORMATION
** Due to COVID we will not be having a recital this season **
We are currently enrolling for our JUST DANCE and High Velocity Dance and Drill Team programs only (Ages 6 & older).
All of our classes are suitable for students that are BRAND NEW or Beginner/Intermediate level.
Princess Dance Academy (Click for Info): Ages 3- 4 yrs.
These fun classes are designed to engage our youngest students and help them build their physical, emotional and social skills. Students will learn the basics of dance and gymnastics through a series of stories, dance-based games and other activities.
Each month we have a new princess theme with props and decorations designed to spark creativity and build a passion for dance and gymnastics. These classes DO NOT participate in recital.
Kick Start Dance: Ages 4.5 – 5 yrs.
For girls who love to twirl and be creative! This class will teach the basics of Ballet, Jazz, and Tap to the beginner dancer. Class is divided into two lesson plans that build on skills each week. This class is great at helping to progress cognitive and physical development as well as improve decision making and social skills.
Kick Start Dance Attire:
Leotard, Tights, and Pink Ballet Shoes and Black Tap Shoes. Ballet skirt or shorts may be worn over the leotard.
Just Ballet: Ages 6 – 14 yrs.
This class will focus on classical ballet using the Cecchetti Ballet Method and learn through repetition. They will also work strength and flexibility to increase the dancer’s overall fitness. This class will perform a ballet/lyrical routine in recital.
Just Ballet Attire:
Leotard, Tights, and Pink Ballet Shoes. Ballet skirt or shorts may be worn over the leotard.
Just Tap & Jazz: Ages 6 – 14 yrs.
This class will focus on tap and jazz. They will also work strength and flexibility to increase the dancer’s overall fitness. These classes will also help develop rhythm, style and coordination through proper tap technique.
Just Tap & Jazz Attire: Comfortable dance clothing (jazz pants, leotard, or tank top) and tan jazz shoes and black tap shoes. Dancers must wear tights if their legs are showing.
Just Hip Hop: Ages 6 – 14 yrs.
This class is for the kids who just want to learn Hip Hop and music video style dancing. Dancers will focus on learning fun dances, body isolation/control and strength/coordination.
Hip Hop Attire: Comfortable dance clothing (sweats, track suits, jazz or hip hop pants, tank top, t-shirt, or jerseys). NO JEANS!
Our competition company is for the Intermediate/Advanced dancer who loves a challenge and has a drive to achieve more! Our National Award-winning team competes in Jazz, Lyrical, Contemporary, Musical Theater, and more.
In addition to performing at area events and our recital, HVDC competes at several Austin area competitions throughout the season. Email email@example.com for information.
Dance is great for confidence but there are also a multitude of other benefits:
- Learning Benefits- The brain works by electrical current thereby needing oxygen and water to function well. Movement (dance) helps to provide one of these two elements, oxygen. Another wonderful thing happens with movement. The brain produces a neuro-chemical called endorphins. This chemical causes a feeling of energy and makes the brain more conducive to learning.
- Behavioral Benefits- Dance can help calm children that suffer with hyperactivity disorders as well as those that suffer from self destructive behaviors. The act of dance seems to help calm and focus these troubled young minds.
- Physical Benefits- Dance will help develop muscles, tone the body, improve circulation, improve posture, balance, coordination and promote greater flexibility. Flexibility is often overlooked as a benefit but can really decrease the chances of injury especially in an active child. Dance helps keep the body conditioned and the mind focused which heightens ones ability to perform other physical activities.
- Social Benefits- Dance improves sensitivity, understanding, appreciation, and consideration for others, both for their similarities and differences. Dance can broaden your child’s horizons by introducing them to other people and help them better relate later in life to those they may face and also in their future careers.
- Esthetic Benefits- Dance awakens the consciousness of beauty, lending new meaning to movement and form
- Emotional Benefits- Dance helps develop self-confidence and self-esteem in a stimulating environment.
- Coordination Benefits- Increased hand-eye coordination and improved fine motor skills. Students who can perform complex rhythms can also make faster and more precise corrections in many academic and physical situations.
“The advantage of the arts (music and dance) is that they link cognitive growth to social and emotional development. Students care more deeply about what they study, they see the links between subjects and their lives, their thinking capacities grow, they work more diligently, and they learn from each other.” Source: Washington Post
“Alice has loved her time at GymKix. Thank you for your outstanding contribution to her love of dance. She will carry all she learned with her!”
– Mrs. Foutch