Students that are brand new to dance will feel right at home and experienced students will have opportunities to challenge themselves. In addition to the multitude of physical, mental and emotional benefits our sports provide, GymKix is proud to offer the highest quality instruction with educated, professional staff
In January, all our dance classes will begin learning dance routines to perform in our annual recital held in May. The confidence boost that a child experiences from participating in an on-stage performance is unparalleled. It is our greatest joy to see their eyes light up and beg to “do it again”. All our dance classes use age appropriate choreography, music, and costuming.
When your dancer is ready to take their love of dance to the next level, they can join our National Award Winning High Velocity Dance Company & Hip Hop Teams.
Our Just Dance classes are available for ages 6 years and older. If you have children ages 3 – 5 years, please check out our Princess Dance Academy.
“Not only has it given her more confidence but it’s teaching her already that if she wants to succeed at something she has to put in the time and effort. She just loves GymKix!”
– Mrs. Gillespie
“Alice has loved her time at GymKix. Thank you for your outstanding contribution to her love of dance. She will carry all she learned with her!”
– Mrs. Foutch
ENROLLMENT & CLASS INFORMATION
Session #1 (May – August): All Classes Open for Enrollment
Classes begin in June and they are open to new enrollments and no commitment for recital is required.
Session #2 (September – December): All Classes Open for Enrollment | Recital Registration Required
This session is also open to new enrollments, however, all students must register for the Annual Recital in order to continue classes. Please see the recital paperwork for complete information and payment plans.
Session #3 (January – May): Just Dance Classes Are Closed for Enrollment
During this session the dance classes will be closed for new enrollments as students will be learning their routine to perform in the recital. The instructors will continue to teach new skills to keep the dancers engaged and learning!
Dance Classes Offered:
Youth & Junior Dance: These classes are designed for beginner and intermediate students ages 7 – 8 years old and 9 years and older. These are dance combination classes that will teach various styles of dance such as lyrical, jazz, ballet, musical theater, contemporary, and more! They will also work strength and flexibility to increase the dancer’s overall fitness. These classes will perform a jazz and a lyrical/ballet routine in recital!
Youth & Junior Dance Attire: Comfortable dance clothing (jazz pants, leotard, or tank top) and tan jazz shoes. Dancers must wear tights if their legs are showing.
Youth & Junior Hip Hop: These classes are designed for beginner and intermediate students ages 7 – 8 years old and 9 years and older. Hip Hop classes will focus on coordination, isolations, fun choreography, as well as strength and flexibility to increase the dancer’s overall fitness. These classes will perform a hip hop routine in recital.
Hip Hop Attire: Comfortable dance clothing (sweats, track suits, jazz or hip hop pants, tank top, t-shirt, or jerseys). NO JEANS!
Dance is great for confidence but there are also a multitude of other benefits:
- Learning Benefits- The brain works by electrical current thereby needing oxygen and water to function well. Movement (dance) helps to provide one of these two elements, oxygen. Another wonderful thing happens with movement. The brain produces a neuro-chemical called endorphins. This chemical causes a feeling of energy and makes the brain more conducive to learning.
- Behavioral Benefits- Dance can help calm children that suffer with hyperactivity disorders as well as those that suffer from self destructive behaviors. The act of dance seems to help calm and focus these troubled young minds.
- Physical Benefits- Dance will help develop muscles, tone the body, improve circulation, improve posture, balance, coordination and promote greater flexibility. Flexibility is often overlooked as a benefit but can really decrease the chances of injury especially in an active child. Dance helps keep the body conditioned and the mind focused which heightens ones ability to perform other physical activities.
- Social Benefits- Dance improves sensitivity, understanding, appreciation, and consideration for others, both for their similarities and differences. Dance can broaden your child’s horizons by introducing them to other people and help them better relate later in life to those they may face and also in their future careers.
- Esthetic Benefits- Dance awakens the consciousness of beauty, lending new meaning to movement and form
- Emotional Benefits- Dance helps develop self-confidence and self-esteem in a stimulating environment.
- Coordination Benefits- Increased hand-eye coordination and improved fine motor skills. Students who can perform complex rhythms can also make faster and more precise corrections in many academic and physical situations.
“The advantage of the arts (music and dance) is that they link cognitive growth to social and emotional development. Students care more deeply about what they study, they see the links between subjects and their lives, their thinking capacities grow, they work more diligently, and they learn from each other.” Source: Washington Post